Classic Antarctica Air-Cruise
8 Days/7 Nights
From $13,495 per person
(Dbl. Occupancy, Incl. Local Airfare)
Fly from Punta Arenas, Chile to King George Island in the South Shetlands to avoid the rough seas of the Drake Passage and discover the wildlife, glaciers, and snow-covered landscapes of Antarctica. Enjoy the company of sea birds, penguins, seals, and whales as you visit some of the most magnificent spots on the continent including Hope Bay, Port Lockroy, Petermann Island, Paradise Bay, Deception Island, and Lemaire Channel. This will be an unforgettable adventure.
Lodging, Meals, and Airfare: This tour includes accommodations for 7 nights (5 nights aboard the Ocean Nova, and 2 nights in Punta Arenas before the cruise), 18 meals (7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, and 6 dinners), and round-trip airfare from Punta Arenas to King George Island.
Best Time to Go: November-March.
Note: Every effort will be made to adhere to the planned program. However, it must be realized with this type of adventurous travel to Antarctica, changes to the itinerary may occur due to severe and unpredictable weather. We need to emphasize the fact that weather conditions are unpredictable and that safety is always the paramount concern on any Antarctic voyage. For this reason, the operator of the ship reserves the right to change the itinerary here described due to weather conditions or other factors beyond their control without consulting the participants.
Day 1: Start of the Air-Cruise.
Arrive in Punta Arenas, Chile, before 2 PM where you are welcomed by Antarctica21 staff and transferred to your hotel. In the afternoon, you attend a mandatory briefing that provides important information about your voyage and reviews the essential guidelines for Antarctic visitors. Later, gather for a welcome dinner and meet your fellow adventurers while enjoying a typical regional menu. Overnight at Hotel Cabo de Hornos. (D)
Day 2: Scheduled flight to Antarctica.
Your Antarctic adventure begins with a two-hour flight from Punta Arenas to King George Island, in the South Shetland Islands. As you exit the airplane, the clear Antarctic air fills your lungs for the first time. Explore the area surrounding Chile’s Frei Station and Russia’s Bellingshausen Station, before boarding a Zodiac to embark your expedition vessel. Overnight aboard the ship. (B,L,D)
Day 3-6: Exploring Antarctica.
Cruise between the South Shetland Islands and the western coast of the Antarctic Peninsula, sailing along ice-filled fjords and among spectacular icebergs, while enjoying the company of seabirds, penguins, seals and whales. Each day, disembark by Zodiac and explore the landscape together with expert polar guides. On board the ship, attend an engaging program of lectures and presentations, and enjoy spectacular views from the lounge while sharing your daily adventures with fellow guests.
No journey is the same as flexibility is the key to success in Antarctica. The Expedition Team sets the voyage route to take advantage of the ever-changing opportunities provided by Nature, crafting a unique and extraordinary experience each time. While the exact itinerary changes with each expedition, you will explore several spots that offer the best possible overview of the varied Antarctic environment. Your voyage may include visits to sites such as Paulet Island, Hope Bay, Port Lockroy, Petermann Island, Paradise Bay, Deception Island, the Lemaire Channel, or many other magnificent places. Overnight aboard the ship. (B,L,D)
Day 7: Scheduled return flight from Antarctica.
Return to King George Island and bid farewell to Antarctica before boarding the flight back to Punta Arenas. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel for the night. Overnight at Hotel Cabo de Hornos. (B)
Note: Meals in Punta Arenas are at your leisure and not included in the program.
Day 8: End of the Air-Cruise.
After breakfast, transfer to the Punta Arenas airport for your onward flight. (B)
B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner
Prices & Dates
Price per Person
12/2/22, 12/7/22, 12/12/22, and 12/17/22
12/22/22, 12/27/22, 1/17/23, 1/22/23, 1/27/23, 2/1/23, 2/6/23, and 2/11/23
- The above prices are valid until February 11, 2023.
- Single passengers can choose from booking a dedicated single cabin, booking a twin cabin for single use and paying a single supplement (of 85%), or sharing a twin or triple cabin with other passengers of the same gender without a supplement. Passengers who book a twin cabin on a shared basis are accommodated in single rooms at the hotel in Punta Arenas, for which they must pay a Single Hotel Room Supplement that varies based on the departure date.
- Optional Sea Kayaking costs $895 per person. Payment is due at time of reservation.
- Optional Hiking and Snowshoeing costs $85 per person
December 2, 7, 12, 17, 22, and 27, 2022; January 17, 22, and 27; February 1, 6, and 11, 2023.
- South American Vacations’ expert pre-departure planning services and documentation.
- Group transfers airport/hotel upon arrival in Punta Arenas on Day 1 and on the day of scheduled return flight from Antarctica (Day 7), and group transfers hotel/airport on last day of the air-cruise (Day 8).
- Special access to Explorers House in Punta Arenas, Chile.
- One night hotel accommodations at Hotel Cabo de Hornos in Punta Arenas, Chile before the cruise and one night hotel accommodations at Hotel Cabo de Hornos after the cruise.
- Flight from Punta Arenas to Frei Station on King George Island and/or vice versa as indicated in the program.
- Accommodations on board the M/V Ocean Nova.
- Full board on the ship including all drinks (served with lunch and dinner), and other meals as indicated on the itinerary.
- Guided shore excursions, lectures, and entertainment on board.
- Loan of waterproof boots for landing in Antarctica.
- IAATO passenger fee.
Price Does Not Include
- International airfare.
- Domestic airfare.
- Meals not indicated on the itinerary.
- Beverages purchased at the ship’s bar.
- Internet connection aboard the ship.
- Gratuities to ship crew and guides (suggested $12 per day).
- Gifts and personal items.
- Travel insurance.
We will be happy to quote the cost of airfare and travel insurance and to make these arrangements for you.
Group/Private: All services included in this tour are operated on a group basis.
Baggage Allowance: The maximum weight allowed on the flights to and from Antarctica is 20 kg (44 lbs.) per passenger, including hand luggage. Excess baggage will be kept in custody by the operator of the ship and returned to passengers upon their return from Antarctica.
Passport/Visa: U.S., Australian, Canadian, and EU citizens (except Greece) require a valid passport (for the duration of your visit) and return ticket for stays of up to 90 days. Greek citizens can stay for up to 60 days. Australian, and Canadian citizens are required to pay a reciprocity fee (considered a multiple entry visa) of $95 and $132 respectively upon arrival (subject to change without notice due to currency fluctuations or other reasons). Citizens of other countries are advised to contact the Chilean embassy in their country before traveling.
Travel Insurance: In order to protect your travel investment from unforeseen circumstances that may arise before or during your trip, we strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance. We offer Allianz Global Assistance’s Classic and other plans. The Benefits and Coverage Limits are summarized on our website at www.savacations.com/travel-insurance/. Call your travel counselor if you have any questions or to purchase a plan. The operator of the ship requires that you purchase Emergency Medical Evacuation Insurance (minimum recommended amount is $100,000).
To Book This Trip: Call or email us to confirm the availability of this ship for your desired dates of travel. The required deposit is $3,500 per person plus the cost of the airfare (if we arrange it for you). The balance of the trip cost is due 120 days prior to departure.
- Personalized Tours
- Destination Expertise
- Reliability (A+ BBB Rating)
- 1000's of Happy Customers
Want Help Planning Your Trip?
Other Tours You May Like
Antarctica Travel Info
Antarctica Blog Posts and Travel Articles