The Frozen Land of the Penguins
13 Days/12 Nights
From $6,569 per person
(Dbl. Occupancy, Not Incl. Airfare)
Venture to Antarctica for a close encounter with its penguins and other wildlife. In addition to beautiful landscapes, you will observe chinstrap, gentoo, and adelie penguins in their rookeries on the Antarctic Islands, some with hundreds of thousands of birds, and the seals and whales that inhabit the Antarctic Sound. You will also visit the British base of Port Lockroy on Goudier Island, which offers a peek into life on an Antarctic base in the 1950s. This will truly be an unforgettable experience.
Lodging and Meals: This tour includes accommodations for 12 nights (12 nights aboard the Fram), and 35 meals (12 breakfasts, 11 lunches, and 12 dinners).
Best Time to Go: November-March.
Day 1: Ushuaia.
Note: Check-in begins at 4:00 PM and Departure is scheduled for 6:00 PM. We advise all passengers to plan to arrive in Ushuaia one night before the cruise departure.
Day 2: Drake Passage.
Day 3: Drake Passage.
Day 4-10: Antarctica.
Some of the highlights are Deception Island and Half Moon Island, because of the resident colonies of chinstrap penguins. Enjoy beautiful vistas and the gentoo penguin colonies on Yankee Harbour, Cuverville Island, Neko Harbour, and Paradise Harbour.
On Petermann Island you will see thousands of Adélie penguins. The British base in Port Lockroy is one of the most popular sites in Antarctica, and offers a peek into life on an Antarctic base in the 1950s. The nesting gentoo penguins surrounding the main building have become accustomed to the frequent human visitors.
The huge ice shelves of the Antarctic sound are home to an estimated half million Adélie penguins as well as gentoo penguins, leopard seals, and killer whales. The best way to experience Adélie penguins at Brown Bluff is to sit quietly and watch nature’s cutest comedians at work. When opportunities arise we will launch our kayaks, pitch tents ashore, and take you on unforgettable hikes to explore one the most beautiful, untouched places on the planet. Overnight aboard the ship. (B,L,D)
Day 11-12: Drake Passage.
Day 13: Ushuaia.
B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner
Prices & Dates
Price per Person
|Polar Inside – Min (Category I)||$11,496||$6,569||n/a|
|Polar Inside – Max (Category I)||$15,698||$8,970||n/a|
|Polar Outside – Min (Category F, J, & N)||$12,688||$7,250||n/a|
|Polar Outside – Max (Category F, J, & N)||$18,844||$10,768||n/a|
|Arctic Superior – Min (Category U)||$15,710||$8,977||n/a|
|Arctic Superior – Max (Category U)||$21203||$12,116||n/a|
|Arctic Superior – Min (Category F)||$17,927||$10,244||n/a|
|Arctic Superior – Max (Category F)||$24,484||$13,991||n/a|
|Expedition Suites – Min (Category M)||$19,800||$11,314||n/a|
|Expedition Suites – Max (Category M)||$26,719||$15,268||n/a|
|Expedition Suites – Min (Category MG)||$24,812||$14,178||n/a|
|Expedition Suites – Max (Category MG)||$33,478||$19,130||n/a|
- The above prices are valid until January 14, 2018.
- The single supplement is 1.75 times the Twin/Superior price.
- Optional camping cost is 3,500 NOK ($423 USD) per person, and can only be purchased on board.
- Optional kayaking cost is 995 NOK ($120 USD) per person, and can only be purchased on board.
- Optional snowshoeing cost is 450 NOK ($54 USD) per person, and can only be purchased on board.
- Wearing rubber boots is mandatory for all landings in Antarctica. High quality boots for landings can be rented on board at a low cost.
November 15, 2017; January 2 and 14, 2018.
- South American Vacations’ expert pre-departure planning services and documentation.
- Accommodations on board the M/S Fram.
- All meals scheduled on board.
- Complimentary water, coffee, and tea.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
- Complimentary wind and water resistant jacket.
- Landings with Polarcirkle boats and activities onboard and ashore.
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team who give lectures and accompany passengers on landings and activities.
Price Does Not Include
- International airfare.
- Domestic airfare.
- Argentinian reciprocity fee ($160).
- Hotel nights before/after the cruise.
- Transfers to the vessel before/after the cruise.
- Meals not indicated on the itinerary.
- Optional excursions.
- Luggage handling.
- Gratuities to ship crew and guides (Suggested $8/day).
- Bar, gifts, and personal items.
- Travel insurance.
We will be happy to quote the cost of airfare and travel insurance and to make these arrangements for you.
Group/Private: All services included in this tour are operated on a group basis.
Passport/Visa: U.S., Australian, Canadian, and EU citizens require a valid passport (for the duration of your visit) and return ticket for stays of up to 90 days. Australian and Canadian citizens are required to pay a reciprocity fee of $100 and $75 respectively (subject to change without notice due to currency fluctuations or other reasons) online, and must show proof of payment prior to arrival. The reciprocity fee for U.S. citizens has been suspended until further notice. For citizens of Australia, this fee covers unlimited entries to Argentina for 10 years, while citizens of Canada are charged the fee every time they enter the country (or $150 for multiple visits within five years). The fee can be paid online at ProvinciaNet.com.ar. You will need to register in order to make the payment. Citizens of other countries are advised to contact the embassy of Argentina in their country before traveling.
Travel Insurance: In order to protect your travel investment from unforeseen circumstances that may arise before or during your trip, we strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance. We offer Allianz Global Assistance’s Classic Comprehensive and other plans. The Benefits and Coverage Limits are summarized on our Travel Insurance page. Call your travel counselor if you have any questions or to purchase a plan. The operator of the ship recommends that you purchase Emergency Medical Evacuation Insurance (minimum recommended amount is $100,000).
To Book This Trip: Call or email us to confirm the availability of this ship for your desired dates of travel. Depending on the cabin type and occupancy (single or double), the required deposit is between $1,900 and $6,000. The balance is due 60 days prior to departure.
- Personalized Tours
- Destination Expertise
- Reliability (A+ BBB Rating)
- 1000's of Happy Customers
Want Help Planning Your Trip?
Other Tours You May Like
Antarctica Travel Info
Antarctica Blog Posts and Travel Articles